Enjoy our pet blogs. Read all about it!

Common Yet Unexpected Household Toxins: Info from a Vet in Walnut Creek


The Internet is a wonderful spot to learn about your fur baby's unique needs. With a plethora of pet care information at your fingertips, it's very easy to learn more about your dog or cat. Still, countless animal owners don't know that several everyday items pose a threat to their furry family members. You already know to store chocolate, rodent killers, and prescription where your pet cannot get to them, but lots of seemingly innocuous things are as hazardous. March is National Pet Poison Prevention Month, so it is a great time to discover some common hazards. Keep on reading to learn about a couple of things you might not know could hurt your furry family member.

1. Xylitol

You might not recognize xylitol by name, but you likely have it in your home. This artificial sweetener is found in many sugar-free foods and snacks, especially candy and chewing gum. However, it’s not so sweet for dogs and cats. If eaten, xylitol can cause a serious drop in blood sugar levels and liver damage. With food manufacturers using this ingredient more frequently, it is turning up in new products regularly. Xylitol is even found in some brands of peanut butter. Be sure to read labels before giving your canine companion or feline friend people food! 

2. Grapes and Raisins

Raisins and grapes are tasty and wholesome snack food items for you and your kids, but they are hazardous to your furry friend. Research hasn’t uncovered precisely why these fruits are so dangerous to companion animals, but consuming just a couple of raisins or grapes can lead to renal failure. 

3. Houseplants

If you have indoor plants, be sure to restrict your cat or dog's access. Many common indoor plants are toxic to dogs and cats and can lead to everything from moderate digestive upset to severe organ damage and even death. Dracaena, philodendrons, snake plants, and aloe are just a few examples of plants that are known to harm pets. 

What to Do If Your Pet is Exposed to Poison

Seek prompt veterinary assistance if you ever have any reason to believe that your dog or cat may have swallowed or been exposed to a poison or toxin. Your pet requires an exam even if they are not showing symptoms. Get a hold of the Pet Poison Helpline for additional information, including whether you need to see an emergency vet. 

When your cat or dog needs a veterinarian in Walnut Creek, reach out to Animal Care Hospital of Walnut Creek. Our compassionate team provides wellness care and sick care and will help your furry friend in any way possible. Reach out to us today to learn more or set up an appointment.


Stay Informed

When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.


We would be delighted to have your dog or cat as a patient.





Main: (925) 433-5900
Fax: (925) 464-7604
[email protected]